Saturday 18 June 2011

Platters for feasts


I confess to a weakness for platters, I used to collect, using my catering as an excuse, but the truth is I can't bear to see my precious platters leaving the house.
On Friday night we braved the storm and attended an opening at our long time friend Cheryl's picturesque gallery above the Cafe Olympia-Kalk Bay Modern , a gorgeous white balcony space, windows overlooking the harbour and a blazing fire to keep us warm.


These platters and urns made by our talented friend Leora Lewis had me drooling, Oh the foods that I would fill those platters with!


This beautiful sculpture and ceramics exhibition is running at Kalk Bay Modern until 15 July 2011, many more talented artists on display- the truth is, it was packed full of people, as you can see below and hard to get pics of all the works.


I also loved these wrought iron artworks, quite individual, three alcoves full of them- perfect for outside walls..


Amongst this wonderful collection of ceramics and sculptures was work by two of my favourites- John Bauer and Clementina van der Walt, we didn't get pics of their work on display, but below are examples of their fabulous work.
I have three little bowls from John, one of which I gave to the 'art teacher' as an anniversary present and Clementina's Irma Stern dinner service, well, I'm still dreaming about it.....

one of John Bauer's bowls


Clementina's  Irma Stern dinner service

The dinner service in Irma Stern's dining room

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachelle- that dinner service is exceptionally beautiful, each side plate has a different character on it and the colours!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...