Saturday, 26 January 2013

Scent of an elephant ear


Of all the scented plants perfuming our little entrance- 

and there are many clustered around such a little entrance- chinese jasmine trailing  the window bars, lilac climbing rose beneath,  plump bushes of yesterday, today and tomorrow, not forgetting a young star jasmine, an eager magnolia flush with flowers and on the far side a frangipani beginning to flower.............

nothing smells quite as heavenly as the only plants we didn't place for fragrance- the elephant ears.


Our huge elephant ears have each made 2 or 3 flowers in quick succession. 

In the rush of my busy season, carrying full platters from the house to the car and empty ones from the car to the house in an seemingly never ending cycle,

 the spot where the scent hits me causes me to linger, inhale deeply and escape for just a moment of heady intoxication that leaves my lips with a smile.

6 comments:

  1. I have never seen an elephant ear flower! And perfumed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie- I wish I could describe the smell- but I can't!

      Except to say its perfect, not too sweet nor too floral, if we could bottle it, we'd be rich....and of course smell very very nice.

      Delete
  2. I had no idea elephant ears had a fragrance. Your entrance is so inviting and the scents must be intoxicating. Hope you don't mind if I just linger here by your door for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia, they shoot these long flower stems up usually this time every year, but this year we've been lucky with so many of them.

      You are always welcome to linger and of course come on in and join me for a whisky!

      Delete
    2. Ha. We're starting to plan our next vacation....and Capetown is on the list, so save me a glass!

      Delete
  3. I know exactly what you mean about lingering and leaving with a smile! For years I'd go into my backyard sniffing that wonderful scent and not having a clue where its coming from after many years i found out it was the elephant ears. Its amazing. It would relax me in times of stress. I want to find out if there is a perfume out there that smells like the plant.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...